The shadows lengthen, the sun is obscured by the cliffs on either side of the path. The air is heavy, our breathing labored. I’ve been in this place before. I recognize the terrain, the sights and smells. I hear the rustle of Death’s robe as he follows at a distance. His breath quickens as he draws near in anticipation of his next victim.
We have entered the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
How I despise this part of life’s journey.
And yet, there is much to be seen and learned in this place if those attending the sojourner pay attention. For it is also a place of comfort, of hope, and the nearness of Jesus for those who have entrusted themselves to His care.
This will be a short trip this time, I think. My dear friend – more like a father to me than my own ever was – has bone cancer. He’s fading quickly.
Thoughts of the loss of another beloved one in this place scratch at my raw emotions like a claw. It was just eight years, one month and six days ago that my mother’s journey through this valley ended.
At the same time, sweet memories of the last trip lay play like wispy mist while we walk. We talk of those times, my friend and I. We remember dreams of an angel enfolding Mom in his wings, of watching her play with “baby angels” while she was recovering from her surgery. The outline of a Lion in the picture at the end of her bed (Aslan standing guard!).
I tell him of her decision to discontinue the medication she was on – it wasn’t working; her conversation with the doctor,
“Yes, I am ready to die.”
We talk about how I watched her make the last knot in her “needlework,” poke the needle into the pincushion, and smooth out her last bit of work during drug-induced sleep; the opening of her sightless eyes minutes before she left us – the gift of a final farewell to her family….and the feather that fell from a bird-less sky the afternoon she left us.
It was a painful time, a fretful time, and yet a time of great hope.
It seems that we’re very nearly on the same path once again. I’ve seen that stump before, and that gnarled tree over there, too.
This all sounds so somber and heavy, to tell it in this way. In some ways it is. Thankfully, the separation won’t be forever, though.
For my friend, it is an adventure. “Wow! I’ve never died before. I wonder what it will be like? This is exciting!” was his joyous response when he was given the news. Only someone who knows where they are going can react like that.
And he knows! With barely a backward glance at those of us who will remain on earth, he’s ready – eager to be reunited with his wife. They’ve been separated for two long years.
(She’s been keeping my mom company – I’ll bet the two of them have made quilts for each of our homes from the finest fabrics heaven has to offer, and painting pictures to grace our walls.)
We’ve talked for many hours about what lies beyond the gossamer-thin veil that separates this world from the next. We’ve spun some exciting stories about things we hope to do and see. The most amazing activity we long for is our first face-to-face visit with Jesus Himself. Oh, what will that be like? we wonder.
Our favorite topic is: What will we be doing a million years from today? We will certainly be doing something! The Bible says we will be like Jesus when we see Him. That’s AWESOME!
Did you ever read in the Bible about the stuff that Jesus did after He rose from the dead?
He ate and drank. He could be touched. He was reunited with those He loved.
He flew! Right up into the atmosphere without a jet pack or oxygen tank.
My personal favorite is:
POOF! Now you see Him inside a locked room.
POOF! Now you don’t!
I’m gonna have fun with that one for about the first hundred years.
Yeah, I hate this valley, but it isn’t so bad when I remember that separation will only be for a little while. We will see one another again. Because we know Jesus, we will never see Death, but pass from life to life.
The Bible describes it as
“Mortality being swallowed up by life.”
Now, that’s good news!
Thank You, Jesus, that You have not left us without hope. I will dearly miss my friend, but I’m so thankful that I will not “lose” him. I’ll know right where to find him, and that’s with You.
Thank You for Your comfort and support as we walk through this valley. I’m so glad that it’s only the “shadow” of Death, for Death cannot touch those who belong to You.
I’m glad that we will live forever with You – and never have to deal with death, sickness, sorrow, guilt, shame, or evil forever after. Now that is good news indeed!
I am so honored to introduce a new voice to Loopyloo’s, Roxy was one of my first friends when I started blogging and has a couple of wonderful blogs, Diary of a Mad Conservative, and Artee Designs! She is a wonderful writer and a great friend, I am sure that you will enjoy reading her posts and I hope that you give her a wonderful welcome. God bless you!
PJ Grace Community and Our Life on the Border have both honored me with these awards and I want to think them both very much. They are both wonderful blogs that are followers of Christ indeed and are a light to the blogging world as well as the areas that they serve. They shine their lights brightly and light the paths of those who want to find Christ or those who need a greater understanding of the Word. I have been blessed to read their posts and you will be as well. Please take the time to visit and give them a word or two of praise. God bless you both and thank you for the wonderful honor. I will fulfill the requirements soon and please do take time to visit these wonderful bloggers.
So these are the rules:
1. Display the award logo on your blog
2. Link back to the person who nominated you
3. State 7 things about yourself
4. Nominate 15 bloggers for this award and link to them
5. Notify those bloggers of the award and it’s requirements
Amusing Bunni is a dear friend, a blogger, and the maker of the most adorable kitty videos ever. She used do a lot of Conservative blogging (from Chicago!) but a while back the death threats she received (from sickos who didn’t even TRY to hide their IP addresses!) got to be too much so she backed off from the politics and just did adorable videos mostly, while coming to other Conservative blogs and making them better for her having stopped by there in our comments sections. I knew something was going on with her when I saw this:
Sometimes, you get news in life that is so awful, so horrible, and
the worst is when you can do NOTHING about it to change it….. continue reading at MareZilla.com
Bunni’s blog is Amusing Bunni’s Musings! Please visit if you can!!!
Wow, I am honored by being nominated for the Reality Blog Award by Cristi at Simple.Interesting which I must admit, is one of my favorite blogs. Always it is Simply Interesting and it makes my day to view the many pictures that Cristi post. He does not limit himself to pictures though, please do take time to visit his blog. Believe me you will not be disappointed. Simple.Interesting! According to Crist, “You can decide what you would like to do and please take in consideration that there are no rules so you can follow this pattern or you can create another.” He did include five questions and nominated 20 blogs though. I am going to answer the questions for now and do the nominating a little later. God bless you all and thank you again Cristi!!!!!!
- If you could change something what would you change? LOL I am a woman, I would change my weight of course!!! Although good health would be better probably!!!!
- If you could repeat an age, what age would it be? I don’t think that I would choose to repeat an age, I like what I am and I would always be afraid that I would be different!
- What one thing really scares you? Not getting to heaven is what really scares me. I love God and want to be able to meet Jesus someday. I look forward to the rewards of heaven!
- What one dream have you not completed yet and do you think you will be able to complete it. I know that this probably sounds silly, but I always wanted to learn Italian and work on it occasionally, but sometimes wonder if I will ever succeed. My problem is my memory!!!!
- If you could be someone else for the day, who would you be? The apostle Paul is someone that I would like to have a personal viewpoint of I think. He was an amazing man with so many accomplishments. Perhaps I should be more humble and choose someone else but I truly would love to know him more and I surely can’t imagine being Christ for one day, I know that would be beyond anything I could even imagine!
This post is for information only! forhisgloryandpraise is looking for information about the many awards and since this one has multiple pictures, I decided to post it! God bless!
- When did you start your blog?
- What do you write about?
- What makes your blog special?
- What made you want to start writing a blog?
- What would you like to change in your blog?
Nominate 5 blogger to receive this award
hat tip to Blue Abaya for the information about this award!
I am honored to be nominated by The (Urban-Wildlife) Interface for the Reader Appreciation Award. This is a special honor indeed. Being appreciated by our readers is something that we always strive to do. So I want to thank them and urge you to visit their blog. They always have some of the most interesting photography as well as tidbits about the local area. And since this is near my neck of the woods, I doubly appreciate them.
Now the rules for accepting this award are as follows:
- Add a picture of the award to your blog post.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
- Nominate 5-10 other Bloggers and inform those selected that they have been nominated.
Here are the nominations:
It is truly wonderful to have friend who think of you. I have been nominated by Dave at Nebraskaenergy! As Dave said “The only rule I know of on this one is to pass it on, and I assume post it, so here we go”
Congratulations Deb of Deb’s Blog you my friend, have been a great blessing to me and I truly want to thank you. You always brighten my day and have a nice and encouraging word to say. What better description of Sunshine can there be God bless you!
Teresa Rice from Catholibertarian is such an awesome blogger and I am so honored that she would nominate me for all of these wonderful awards. It is so nice to have others consider you worthy and I will do my best to fulfill the obligations that go with these awards.
Now the rules for accepting these awards are as follows:
Add a picture of the award to your blog post.
Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
Nominate 5-10 other Bloggers and inform those selected that they have been nominated.
For the Illuminating Blogger Award and One Lovely Blog Award say 7 interesting things about yourself.
Award Guidelines for Very Inspiring Blogger Award:
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Link back to the person who nominated you.
- State 7 things about yourself.
- Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them.
- Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements.
Here are the blogs I am nominating for all three awards.
Now 7 things about myself:
- I am a grandmother
- I love cats
- I like to read
- I started drawing house plans when I was four years old
- I like to redo houses
- to be continued…….
I have been honored by the PJ Grace Community for this award and I encourage you to visit them and leave a comment. The rules are as follows:
Now for the RULES to follow when nominated for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award:
1. Display the award logo on your blog. Done
2. Link back to the person who nominated you. Done
3. State 7 things about yourself. –
- I Love my God
- I am a grandmother
- I have three sons—- to be continued at a later date!!!
4. Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them. Done
5. Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements.
- In Love With the Lord
- Deb’s Blog
- Citizen Tom
- Scott Knowlton’s Blog
- Christian Comfort & Conversation
- Lyn Leahz
- For His Glory and Praise
Whatever your politics are, evil can not be allowed to continue within the darkness, we must become enlightened in order to rid the world of it’s presence!
Evil acts against innocent people will not be stopped and will only worsen unless if good people rise up to make it stop.
The same cretins who’ve been committing identity theft against me ever since thatPolitical Moms blogger contest this past spring have also been doing it to The Lonely Conservative (who won the contest) in addition to far, FAR, worse – and it has been escalating:
If you’re a regular reader you’re aware of the harassment I’ve endured since the Top 25 Political Moms contest this past spring. It all started when a few of us conservative bloggers noticed that the progressive bloggers were extremely far-left and they were telling their readers to vote for their blogs because they wouldn’t want a conservative winning and spreading “dangerous family values.” Well, that got our ire up a little bit, so we responded in kind, and dubbed some of them “commie mommies.” It’s not like one or two of them didn’t already refer to themselves that way, so we didn’t see any harm in it. No big deal, right? To make a long story short, they tried to get us disqualified, so we all agreed to remove any negative posts about the competition. Please read the rest of this post at Zilla’s site!
I have been nominated for this wonderful award by Bro. Chris Jordan from the New Life blog. If you have never read the New Life blog please take time to check it out, you will be very inspired. Thank you Bro. Jordan for this wonderful honor. I will try to fulfill the obligations and complete the instructions as soon as possible. But until I do, please take the time to read the many blogs and websites that I have featured on the page: Blogroll of Some of My Favorite Christian Sites
To accept this award:
- Link back to the blogger who nominated you.
- Paste the award image on your blog.
- Tell 7 facts about yourself.
- Nominate 15 other blogs that you would like to give the award to.
- Contact the bloggers that you have chosen and let them know about the award.
I want to thank the Rev. Deirdre Whitfield at the crustybreadblog for nominating me for the Kreativ Blogger Award. It is a great honor! Especially from Rev. Deirdre who has such a wonderful blog. Thank you again Rev. Deirdre and may God always bless you!
It seems I must share 7 interesting things about myself! Well, I can’t really be the judge about how interesting they are, but here goes:
- 1)I love listening to sermons and am so thankful that there are so many online.
- 2)I think that the structure of the earth and the way it interacts is fascinating and at one time wanted to become a geologist.
- 3)One of my favorite things when I was growing up was the different types of dance in the world and one that I considered most challenging was the Mexican Hat dance. (please remember this was from the perspective of a young teenager)
- 4)I love animals, but cats are my favorites.
- 5)I like to design the interior of houses and can not walk into a house without considering how it could be done differently.
- 6)When I was a child and we went fishing, I like to untangle the fishing line instead of actually fishing.
- 7) I love bold colors !
Now to nominate 7 others bloggers for the Kreativ Blogger Award! And that is the hardest part, to limit it to just 7. Here goes:
- Noel at This Blogging Thing
- Kathie at The White Stone
- Drucilla at Drusilla Mott
- Sherry at He Hath Said
- MT Sweat at Resting in His Grace
- Samuel at Samuel at gilgal
- Pastor Rob Barkman at Settled in Heaven
Thank you to my friend Rob Barkman at Settled In Heaven for awarding me as a Versatile Blogger. God works through Rob to bring us all a wonderful ministry. If you have never read his blog please take the time to do so. Also take the time to visit his video blog at Settled In Heaven Video Blog
THE RULES TO FOLLOW FOR THE VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD:
1. Add a picture of the award to your blog post. Done 2. Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their blog. Done
3. Share 7 random facts about yourself.
1)God has worked miracles in my life and I owe him my every thing.
2) I love revivals and seeing people who have never known God, give their lives to him.
3) one of the most emotionally upsetting times in my life was doing clinical, when I was a nursing student, in a pediatric nursing home. Anyone that feels sorry for themselves or think that there is nothing that they are good at, should take the time to find a pediatric nursing home, and volunteer. They always needs help and you will never be the same.
4) I like cats, and dogs, but cats better.
5) I like to figure out new ways to do things.
6)I was born in the desert, lived in the mountains and by both the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
7) Would rather listen to the radio than watch TV.
4. Nominate other Bloggers and inform those they have been nominated.
Christopher James at
THE WARRIORESS at
Carolyn at[the ocean floor]
My friend Scott Sholar, has nominated me for the Versatile Blogger award, and I want to thank him for the honor. And thank you so much to Martha at In Love With The Lord for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger award at The Christian Gazette. Instead of doing a separate post on both of these awards, I decided to combine them. I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank all my faithful followers at The Christian Gazette. This will be my final post for The Christian Gazette. I hope all my followers will read my posts on My Blog as well. I am sorry if I am disappointing anyone, but I feel that I must concentrate of keeping up with just this one blog as my main focus. I will continue to contribute posts to Annie at LUPUS CHRONICLES when she needs help, as well as at Grumpy’s Opinion’s.
OK, now that that is out of the way, let’s look at the instructions again. 1) picture is up, 2)thank those who nominated me, done! 3)share 7 random facts about myself:
1) I am a published poet (LOL it was forty years ago and I am not sure that I could even tell you where they were published)
2) I love animals
3) I am something of a Bibliophile ( I had over four thousands books at one time, but have had to get rid of some of them)
4) My favorite hobby is redesigning houses ( I drew my first house plan at four years old)
5) The only two subjects that I hated when I went to school, were, sociology and grammer.
6) I like History (especially Bible history and American history), Science, Art, and Music
7) If I had a chance to turn back time and redo something in my life, I would not do it! ( Bad as it was at times, it brought me to where I am today. I hope that I am where God wants me to be, but if I am not, I will let Him correct the problem. I would not presume to think that I might improve on the product. If I had listened to Him everytime, things might have been different anyway.
So the nominations are done and are listed below. I hope you all realize how much I appreciate each and every one of you. If you choose not to accept the award, I will understand and I do not intend this as putting pressure on any one. Awards should be something to be desired, but truly, our time is limited and something should never infringe upon it to the point that we feel uncomfortable. So, for all those that I have nominated, this is simply my appreciation of you and you must not feel as if you have to do anything. Even if you feel that you don’t have the time to make the awards to someone else, I hope that you will post it on your site anyway! Rules are sometimes made to be broken, and appreciation should never come with an obligation.
Here are the rules for nominees: