Billy Sunday: Baseball Star Preacher

American Minute with Bill Federer

FEB. 17 – Billy Sunday: Baseball Star Preacher

A baseball star, Billy Sunday played for the Chicago White Stockings (Sox) in the 1880’s and later the Philadelphia Phillies.

He was born during the Civil War in a log cabin in Iowa.

His father, a Union Army soldier, died of pneumonia when Billy was a month old.

At age 15, he struck out on his own, working several jobs before playing baseball.

His career took off when he was recruited by A.G. Spalding, owner of the White Stockings and founder of Spalding Sporting Goods Company.

Sunday became one of the most popular athletes in the nation.

While leaving a Chicago saloon with some other players in 1886, he heard a group of gospel singers on the street from the Pacific Garden Mission.

Attracted by the hymns he had heard his mother sing, Sunday began attending services at the mission, where he experienced a conversion.

He began attending YMCA meetings, quit drinking and got married.

A national sensation occurred FEBRUARY 17, 1889, when Billy Sunday preached his first sermon as a Christian evangelist in Chicago.

He went on to pioneer preaching over broadcast radio so enthusiastically that the FCC was formed in response.

During the next 46 years, till his death November 6, 1935, over 100 million people would hear him.

In his animated style, Billy Sunday said:

“The devil says I’m out, but the Lord says I’m safe.”

“Temptation is the devil looking through the keyhole. Yielding is opening the door and inviting him in.”

“Live so that when the final summons comes you will leave something more behind you than an epitaph on a tombstone.”

“I never see a man or a woman or boy or girl but I do not think that God has a plan for them…He will use each of us to His glory if we will only let Him.”

Rivers of America will run with blood filled to their banks before we will submit to them taking the Bible out of our schools.”

“Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.”

American Minute is a registered trademark. Permission is granted to forward. reprint or duplicate with acknowledgement to vwww.AmericanMinute.com

1. cool!

February 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm

• :-) I learn something new every day!

February 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm

2. Reblogged this on Cobcatnipdew's Blog.

February 18, 2013 at 2:49 am

3. What an amazing man of God he was! If only Americans retained those Bibles in school.

February 18, 2013 at 4:07 am

• Amen to that my friend, God bless you!

February 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

• Yup!!!

February 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

4. We should all be evangelizing. People need the Lord ever more today! The day of the great preachers like Sunday Billy Graham is…well…it’s up to us now to speak to that co- worker…neighbor…and friend about our Lord. Thank God for these great heros of the faith….but I want to be one too…and that is what I aim for every day….to win souls to Christ…spread the good news. We need to be reminded about how a person’s life can affect many others and you did that with your blog today.

February 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

• Thank you for the kind words my friend and God bless you.

February 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm

5. We need more Billy Sundays in this nation, don’t we? Interesting comment in Sunday School yesterday, talking about the disciples being 12 ordinary men who just made themselves available to be used by God. Our teacher noted how we’re always so proud to brag on our favorite sports teams, and we don’t care if people laugh at us for supporting them, but we’re afraid to brag so proudly about Jesus, who gave His life for us, for fear people may laugh at us. If we worked even 1/2 as hard for Jesus as liberals work for abortion, this world would be a totally different place, wouldn’t it?

February 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

• Amen RH, and if we don’t learn a few lessons from them in that regard, we will fail. We need to shout our support for Jesus and God. That is why I love watching the Passion Conferences so much, they really are filled with passion and young people who are not afraid to speak out. It energizes me in my faith, and yet even there I see some degree of “social justice” creeping in. God bless you my friend!

February 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm